Paying for your Own Care


back to Financial Help & Support

The cost of domiciliary care in your own home can be expensive if you are funding it entirely yourself. See our article ‘How much does it cost to have a carer?’ . While organisations like TrustonTap will work hard to keep the costs to you as low as possible, you are well-advised to seek professional advice if you are entering into any form of long-term commitment.

It can be worth consulting The Society of Later Life Advisers (SOLLA) who offer an online search of accredited financial advisors with a good understanding of the financial challenges in later life. Independent Financial advisers are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and will take responsibility for the suitability of any recommendations they make.

Additionally, you might find it valuable to take the impartial advice of a solicitor, some of whom are able to give valuable help on short and medium-term care planning. You may find it valuable to contact several local firms, to explain what your circumstances are, and to ask them for an estimate of costs. Alternatively, the Society for the Elderly is an independent legal organisation who provide advice to older people across the UK.

Even if you are not eligible for funding from your Local Authority, there are several other ways in which you can get assistance towards the cost of care and support. See our article ‘What financial help can I get for my Care and Support?’

Other local and national organisations that can provide help on benefits, money, and welfare issues include Citizens Advice Bureau and Age UK 

Further information:

Financial advisers

Legal advisers

Additional Advice on Benefits